Vue lecture

Cameroun : le président Paul Biya de retour après plus de deux mois d'absence

Par : FRANCE 24
Le président Paul Biya est rentré jeudi soir à Yaoundé, ont constaté des journalistes de l'AFP, après une absence prolongée de 73 jours. Ces plus de deux mois loin du Cameroun ont alimenté les spéculations sur son état de santé et relancé le débat sur l'inertie au sommet de l'État.

  •  

First U.S. Deportees to Arrive in Liberia Amid Growing Backlash

Critics in Liberia, a small West African nation, say their government has not explained why it agreed to one of the largest U.S. deportation deals, who the deportees are, or how they will be handled.

© Thierry Gouegnon/Reuters

Monrovia, the capital of Liberia. The U.S. deportation deal with Liberia is one of the largest so-called third-country deportation agreements struck by the Trump administration so far.
  •  

Canada and U.S. Resume Talks Over Trump Tariffs as a New Deadline Looms

While President Trump has declared that the two countries effectively have a deal, they remain apart on several key issues.

© Mandel Ngan/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Dominic LeBlanc, the Canadian minister in charge of U.S. trade, arriving to meet with Jamieson Greer, the U.S. trade representative, on Thursday in Washington.
  •  

He was on the set of a Hollywood thriller about Nord Stream. Then Germany had him arrested over the real attack.

Gas bubbles churn the Baltic Sea above a leak in the Nord Stream 2 pipeline on 27 September 2022.

Croatian police arrested a Ukrainian diver in Pula on 19 August 2026 over his alleged role in the 2022 Nord Stream pipeline explosions, Croatian broadcaster HRT reported. German prosecutors confirmed to AP that the suspect was Volodymyr Zhuravlov (Zhuravliov in Ukrainian official transliteration). Legal Tribune Online reported that he was detained on the set of Zmiinyi (Snake) Island.

The arrest gives German prosecutors a third chance to secure Zhuravliov after two attempts in Poland failed. If Croatia extradites him, he would become the second suspected member of the alleged team to face proceedings in Germany. Berlin has pursued other suspects in the Nord Stream case across Europe, but the identity of the person who ordered the sabotage remains unknown.

Previous arrests and arrest attempts

Germany’s Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office said Zhuravliov was a trained scuba diver who took part in the dives needed to place explosives on Nord Stream 1 and 2 near Denmark’s Bornholm island. Prosecutors say the group sailed from Rostock aboard a yacht that middlemen rented from a German company using forged identity documents.

The 2024 European arrest warrant accuses Zhuravliov of jointly causing an explosion, anti-constitutional sabotage, and destroying structures. He would appear before an investigating judge at Germany’s Federal Court of Justice following extradition, prosecutors said. A Croatian court must first approve his surrender.

LTO reported that investigators first sought Zhuravliov’s arrest in Poland in the summer of 2024, but he crossed into Ukraine before police detained him. Polish police arrested him near Warsaw in autumn 2025. However, a court rejected Germany’s extradition request after finding that the pipelines could be treated as a legitimate military target during an armed conflict. Zhuravliov has denied involvement.

Volodymyr Zhuravliov. Screenshot from NTV video

His lawyer, Tymoteusz Paprocki, told AP that Zhuravliov understood the Polish ruling applied only within Poland.

Another Ukrainian suspect, Serhii K., was arrested near Rimini in August 2025 and extradited to Germany that November after unsuccessful appeals. Prosecutors allege he coordinated the operation rather than joining the dives. They charged him in Hamburg in June 2026.

The route of the Nord Stream pipelines beneath the Baltic Sea. Map: BBC

What was Nord Stream?

Nord Stream 1 and 2 ran beneath the Baltic Sea, carrying—or designed to carry—Russian gas directly to Germany while bypassing Ukraine. Explosions on 26 September 2022 damaged three of their four lines at a depth of about 80 meters.

No court has established who ordered the attack. Ukraine’s Prosecutor General’s Office says no facts demonstrate Ukrainian state involvement and is examining whether Russia staged a false-flag operation using Ukrainians. LTO reported that Germany’s Federal Court of Justice found strong grounds in December 2025 to believe that a state had initiated and directed the sabotage, but did not identify which state.

  •  

A Few Expert Lawyers Dominate Supreme Court Arguments, a New Study Finds

Chief Justice Roberts, once such a lawyer, has said he has mixed feelings about the trend.

© Eric Lee/The New York Times

Chief Justice John Roberts argued 39 Supreme Court cases as a lawyer in the solicitor general’s office and in private practice.
  •  

Why is the Trump administration causing turmoil in the bond markets? | Richard Partington

As yields are dragged higher in the UK, Europe and Japan, the impact for consumers and businesses will be far-reaching

Government borrowing costs around the world have surged to the highest levels in decades amid growing fears over US bond market turmoil.

Anxiety about Donald Trump’s handling of the US economy, and concern that the US president’s war with Iran is driving up inflation, are causing a sell-off in the US bond market.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Yuki Iwamura/AP

© Photograph: Yuki Iwamura/AP

© Photograph: Yuki Iwamura/AP

  •  

FBI Agents Search Eric Swalwell’s Home as Part of Federal Sexual Assault Inquiry

Most sex crimes are prosecuted by state and local authorities. The federal agents appeared to be using civil rights statutes to scrutinize Mr. Swalwell’s conduct, a person familiar with the case said.

© Tierney L. Cross/The New York Times

Mr. Swalwell, who spent more than a decade in the House representing two districts in California, resigned from Congress in April.
  •  

Ancienne Grande Place : le dossier piétine toujours

Le service des communications de la Ville de Rimouski indique qu’il n’y a aucun élément nouveau concernant le site de l’ancienne Grande Place, plus de quatre ans après sa démolition, et que le maire de Rimouski, Guy Caron n’accordera pas d’entrevue à ce sujet pour le moment.

Le Soir.ca tente de faire le point sur ce dossier qui traîne en longueur. Rappelons qu’en octobre 2025, la Ville a mandaté ses avocats pour envoyer une mise en demeure à l’entreprise Corev afin de forcer ses dirigeants à s’activer ou du moins à faire connaître leurs plans pour le terrain de l’ancienne Grande Place.

À ce moment, le maire rappelait que le Groupe Sélection avait un projet de construction d’un immeuble à logements pour aînés, à cet endroit, avant de faire faillite.

« Les actifs ont été repris par Corev, y compris le bail emphytéotique cédé par la Ville pour le terrain, mais à la condition qu’il y ait une construction. Nous avons été patients. Nous avons compris que la faillite et l’implication d’un syndic avaient retardé les choses, mais là nous avons besoin de connaître les plans de Corev. S’ils ne vont pas de l’avant, la Ville va reprendre le terrain et trouver un autre promoteur », expliquait alors monsieur Caron.

Les travaux devaient débuter en 2024

Le bail à long terme du terrain exigeait que des travaux de construction débutent avant le 30 juin 2024.

« Nous n’avons aucune indication qu’il y a un projet en développement. La communication avec Corev est difficile, c’est pourquoi nous nous tournons vers nos avocats. On désire avoir des réponses avec la mise en demeure. Si ces réponses ne sont pas satisfaisantes, on va enclencher le processus pour reprendre le terrain et trouver un autre promoteur », mentionnait Guy Caron en 2025.

Le maire de Rimouski, Guy Caron (Photo Le Soir.ca)

L’entreprise prévoyait initialement amorcer la construction de plus de 300 logements avant la fin de 2025. La Grande Place a été démolie en 2022. Le terrain est vacant depuis ce temps.

Corev est poursuivie

Par ailleurs, rappelons que la firme Pierre Martin & Associés (PMA) Architectes a entamé des procédures judiciaires contre Corev afion d’être payé pour le travail qu’elle a effectué pour le Groupe Sélection, dont le projet a été racheté par Corev à la suite de la faillite de Groupe Sélection.

Le dossier doit revenir devant la Cour en novembre prochain.

  •  

US man sentenced to 77 years for child sexual abuse tied to online extremist group

Kyle Spitze of Tennessee faced federal charges for targeting girls online as part of ‘764 network’ investigated by FBI

A 27-year-old Tennessee man described by the US justice department as a “nihilistic violent extremist” was sentenced to 77 years in prison on Wednesday for his targeting of girls online as part of the 764 network, an online group the FBI calls a form of “modern-day terrorism”.

Kyle Spitze of Friendsville received the federal sentence on Wednesday for “production of child sexual abuse material, abetting the distribution of animal crushing videos, and possessing and accessing with the intent to view”, the justice department said in a statement.

Continue reading...

© Photograph: Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP

© Photograph: Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP

© Photograph: Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP

  •  

Photos show Kyiv residents clutching pets, collecting bodies after Russian missile and drone attack

Kyiv residents surveyed damage and sheltered in subway stations after an overnight Russian missile and drone attack, carrying pets past bodies and damaged buildings. An injured parking security guard stood by his booth, his pants torn from the blast.

© Copyright 2026. The Associated Press. All rights reserved

  •  

As Prince Harry and Meghan Depart California for the U.K., Their Neighbors Shrug

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle self exiled to the ultrawealthy enclave of Montecito in 2020. “They wave. They drive. They close the gates,” a neighbor said.

© Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

The duke and duchess of Sussex went among the people, but few knew them well.
  •  

Étude | Un vaccin pourrait révolutionner la lutte contre plusieurs types de cancer

Un premier vaccin expérimental à ARN messager contre le cancer de la peau pourrait révolutionner la façon de traiter plusieurs types de cancer. Une étude à laquelle ont participé le CHUM et le CHU de Québec-Université Laval a démontré des résultats positifs pour la phase 3 d’une thérapie anticancéreuse à base d’ARNm.  

  •  
❌